Friday, July 24, 2015

Taking A Rough Look Back at Pre-Season Predictions for the 2014/2015 Season

For those of you who remember, I did a few posts about what to statistically expect from some free agent signings for their teams. The posts can be found below:

Radim Vrbata - Vancouver Canucks
Mike Cammalleri - New Jersey Devils
Paul Stastny - St. Louis Blues

I'm going to take a quick look to see how my projections for them turned out this season:

Radim Vrbata -  Projected: 28 goals, 60 points / Reality: 31 goals, 63 points

Mike Cammalleri - Projected: potentially make Travis Zajac a 50-60 point center and significantly increase Jagr's production from playing on a same line as them / Reality: unfortunately, not even close to that. I don't know why I didn't put a specific point total production for Cammalleri, but he did score 27 goals, leading the Devils, despite having Zajac moved around lines and having Jagr traded near the end of the season.

Paul Stastny - Projected: 23 goals / Reality: 16 goals.

I know this is a really quick look, but it's also an attempt to see what I need to improve upon in my writing as well as what needs to be better clarified in terms of statistics. As the time goes by I think I will be able to write more about statistical evaluations of players, but for the moment, I'd like to try and focus very strongly on prospects.

But hey 1/3 isn't bad right?

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment